PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS IN FULL BEFORE APPLYING.
OffTheMainPage.com (OTMP) is a fast-growing privately owned “weird news” website (not fake news….weird news).
We are looking for talented writers who can find weird news stories and write them up. Most of our stories are 350-600 words and usually contain a YouTube video.
OTMP is generally non-partisan, but we do have some political stories that qualify as “weird news.”
- knowledge of WordPress or ability to learn WordPress on your own time – we don’t train
- flawless grammar and spelling
- minimum of three articles per week, but you can write more than that if you want (with editor approval)
- English as a first language or native English fluency
We use Copyscape to check every work submitted. We are not interested in reprints of previously published work, though you can send previous work as a sample when you apply.
Story submissions after your first submission require pitch approval by the editorial team.
We hire freelance independent contractor writers as 1099 contractors. We do not withhold taxes (Social Security, Medicare, state taxes, etc…). We mail 1099s at the end of the year and you are responsible for reporting your income to the IRS.
We pay $5 per article, with generous bonuses built in for high-performing articles.
How much money you make depends on:
- How often you write
- How carefully you select story ideas, featured images, and headlines
- How well you promote your articles.
We promote OTMP articles on our Facebook pages that have a combined audience of over one million fans, but any promotion beyond that is your responsibility. We do provide tips and recommendation. If you have access to a big Facebook page or Twitter account, you can quickly grow your views and your own personal fan-base.
Serious Writers Only
Writing for us is a great way to earn a living and grow your own audience. You are welcome to link to your own sites, books, social media accounts, etc…in your bio, which is shown on all articles by default.
Note that we are looking for serious writers who treat writing like a job, not occasional contributors or hobby bloggers. We require a minimum of three articles per week.
How to Apply
- Review our site to get a feel for what we write and our unique style.
- Send a brief writing sample (pasted in the body of the email) or a link to a previously published work that you think is similar in style to ours to offthemainpage (at) gmail (dot) com. In that email address, replace “at” and “dot” with the @ and a period.
Your writing sample can be something you’ve already written or a link to your web-published work.
- We don’t need your resume, but a list of your experience and credentials in your email is appreciated (not required).
- Please do not send attachments. We will not open them.
Where to Apply
Following the instructions above, send your writing sample to offthemainpage (at) gmail (dot) com.
In that email address, replace “at” and “dot” with the @ and a period.