Sea turtles have been around since the time dinosaurs ruled the land. With a lifespan of 80 years, they’re also one of the few sea animals that live a long and plentiful life. Unfortunately, a 25 year old turtle nearly missed out on the remaining portions of their existence.
A turtle in Thailand accidentally swallowed 915 coins that tourists would throw in the pond for good luck. With such a bizarre incident, veterinarian Pasakorn Brikshavana was completely confused as to what to do next. The vet posted a video of the turtle over on Facebook to help raise awareness of the situation. Luckily, she was fortunate enough to help raise enough money to help scan the turtle. In a statement, she said
“We found coins both in her stomach and intestines. If we didn’t operate on her then she wouldn’t have been able to eat or defecate, and would have soon died.”
The surgery took around seven hours, and when it was all said and done, they successfully removed all of the coins, which weight around 11 pounds. After surgery was complete, the turtle had to take a month off to recover for surgery; it’s currently going through six months of physical therapy. In due time, it will be able to head back to its friends in the ocean.
The turtle’s name is very appropriate for the entire journey. Folks call her Om Sin, which means piggy bank.
This isn’t the first time that an animal had to get surgery in order to have unwanted material removed from their bodies. Last summer, a six year old puppy named Luke had to get a half bottle of Gorilla Glue take out of their system. When doctors pulled out the massive amount of glue, it looked just like a mold of the puppy’s stomach. Another puppy based in Philadelphia had to get his plastic squeaky toys removed from his stomach.
Featured image via Wikimedia