Yes! We are glad 2016 is almost over, but there is one other thing we can celebrate today: National Bacon Day!
— Good Morning America (@GMA) December 30, 2016
Facts About Bacon
- It is cured, smoked pieces of pork, but different countries use different parts of the pig. We use the belly here in the US, but the UK uses the shoulder.
- It dates back to 1500 B.C.E, so it is the oldest cut of processed meat.
- The first bacon factory opened in 1770.
- The average American consumes 18 pounds of bacon per year.
- There are varieties of beer, bourbon, and vodka that are bacon flavored.
- In 1924, Oscar Meyer sold the first packs of sliced bacon.
- Around 70 percent of Americans eat bacon at breakfast when they eat it.
- Denmark consumes the most pork.
- Almost half of the world’s pigs come from China.
Now, go forth and eat your bacon!
Featured image via Twitter.